Bibinca, the multi layered Goan cake, that can be eaten at any time of the day. Put it in your chapatis and have it for breakfast, with ice cream or alone as a dessert, whichever way you prefer you know that you would want another slice of that delicious Bibinca once again.
The Se Cathedral situated at Old Goa (UNESCO world heritage site) is the Largest Church in the whole of Asia.
The cathedral took almost 90 years for completion. The exterior of the cathedral is notable for its plain style, after the Tuscan tradition, and for the rather lopsided look that the loss of one bell tower, which collapsed in 1776 has given it. The remaining tower houses the famous “Golden Bell”, the largest bell in Asia and is renowned for its rich tone.
There are 4 chapels on either side of the nave, which include the Chapel of the blessed Sacrament and the Chapel of the MIraculous Cross.
The Basilica of Bom Jesus is famous throughout the World. It houses the tomb and the mortal remains of the St. Francis Xavier, the patron saint of Goa. The exterior walls of the Basilica are not plastered. The construction of the Basilica was completed in the year 1605. The facade has elements of Doric, Ionic and Corinthian designs and the pillars and details are carved from basalt. The huge and ornate gilded reredos that stretches from floor to ceiling behind the altar is beautiful. To the right of the Altar is the body of St. Francis Xavier.
This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Shree Manguesh temples is located at a distance of approximately 22 kilometers from Panjim city in the village of Priol, in Ponda Taluka. It was in the 16th Century, that the linga of this temple was brought to Priol (where it is currently located) from the village of Cortalim to avoid desecration by the Portuguese Government. It was constructed in the 18th Century. Lord Shiva is worshiped here in the form of Mangesh. The “Deepastambha” is a eye catching structure, its a seven storey octagonal lamp tower.
This forty six meter high colossal four storied arched belfry tower built of laterite, formed part of the facade of the church of St. Augustine facing east. The ruins of eight chapels, four altars and extensive convent with numerous cells may be seen. This tower and church was build in 1602 by the St. Augustinian Friars.
The Friars of Augustinian Order arrivd in goa in 1572 and built a small convent on holy hill and later it was enlarged. The convent building has three storey provided with two large stone staircases leading to th efloors above. On entering the convent there were two cloisters, corridors, pillars, Galleries, Halls having numerous rooms, A refacory(dinning hall), Guest house and Infirmary ( First Aid) which were very spacious. It also had vast domitories and numerous cells and other structures which are now in ruins.
In 1835 this complex was abandoned due to the expulsion of the religious orders from Goa and the Portuguese Government ordered its demolition. In 1846 the main vault of the Church collapsed and the convent rapidly decayed. The valuable articles belonging to the religious complex were either sold or lost, being nowadays dispersed over many churches in Goa. The bell from the tower was initially taken to Fort aguada and later in 1871 was shifted to the Church of Our lady of immaculate Conception church in Panjim.
The church had a sprawling vault(roof) which collapsed between 1842 and 1846. It is said that the vault collapsed twice during construction and on the third attempt the architect to test its stability ordered a heavy cannon to be fired at the building with his only son standing inside. Fortunately the vault withstood the shock to be brought down due to the ravages of time. As per the records the convent and the church dedicated to Our lady of Grace was occupied by the Augustinian order till 1835. it was then abandoned as a result of an official decree and the Portuguese Government ordered its demolition.
As a result of partial demolition, weathering and natural decay, the facade of the church including the 46 meters tall tower again fell in 1938. What remains of the five storey tall tower is being conserved against all odds.
The archaeological survey of India has been carrying out scientific clearance of the ruins since 1998 and simultaneous conservation of the site.
Palolem beach is one of the most beautiful and idyllic beache of South Goa. Its a streach of white sand. Its has a shady cover of the Palm trees. There are plenty of beach huts and beach shacks along the beach. Boat trips are organised to the islands along the Palolem beach coast. At low tide one can walk to the island at the northern end of the beach. The rock known as “Pandavas Dholl” which gives sound like drum with blowing breeze is situated to the southern end of the beach. One can see many foreigners kayaking here. There are many beach shacks all along the coast. Accomodation is available in the form of guest houses and small resorts.
The Candolim beach is a situated in between the Calangute Beach and the Sinquerim Beach. Its a very beautiful beach, you can say its just an extension of the Calangute beach. The majority of the people who frequent this beach is mainly because it is quieter, compared to calangute beach. This beach is mostly packed with people on beds and beach umbrellas. But there are peaceful areas where the locals enjoy fishing. The people of Candolim has the distinction of being the first people of having made a serious attempt to overthrow the Portuguese in 1787. but the plot was discovered by the Portuguese authorities.
Colva Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches of South Goa. It is one of the main atarctions of south Goa. Basically Colva is a fishing village.
On 2nd October the Colva Fama is held where the miracalous statues of Infant Jesus (Menino Jesus) is brough out for venerations
There are a number of guest houses and good restaurants located here. Its a ideal place for relaxation and far more peaceful compared to the crowded beaches like Calangute of north Goa
Vagator is rocky beach. It is located amongst a huge cover of palm trees. One can see the Chapora fort from the vagator beach. It is one of the very famous beaches of Goa. It has a very busy night life here with a lot of beach parties. The foriegn tourists are dominant here and one can find good accomodation, restaurants and facilities like internet and banking are readily available. It is very close to the Anjuna beach where the flee market is organised. It basically is a fishing village.