This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Shree Manguesh temple is located at a distance of approximately 22 kilometers from Panjim city in the village of Priol, in Ponda Taluka. It was in the 16th Century, that the linga of this temple was brought to Priol (where it is currently located) from the village of Cortalim to avoid desecration by the Portuguese Government. It was constructed in the 18th Century. Lord Shiva is worshiped here in the form of Mangesh. The “Deepastambha” is an eye-catching structure, it’s a seven-story octagonal lamp tower.
This temple is dedicated to Goddess Shantadurga the Goddess of Peace. Shree Shantadurga temple is located at a distance of approximately 33 kilometers from Panjim city at Kavlem, in Ponda Taluka. It has a rich and beautiful Garbhakuda or the holy of the hollies where the deity is kept. The deity was shifted here from Kelsi. Goddess Shantadurga mediated between Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva thus bringing peace among the Gods. It was constructed in the year 1738 by the grandson of the Maratha warrior king “Shivaji”. The red sloping roof of the temple and the white lamp tower or “Deepastambha”
This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Shree Nagesh temple is located at a distance of approximately 35 kilometers from Panjim village of Bandora, about 4 kilometers from Ponda Taluka. The temple sabha mandap has a gallery on both sides that contains an exquisite specimen of intricate wood carving of the events of Ramayana on one side and wooden images of Astadikpal and Gandharva on the other. This temple has a pyramid tiled roof and round domes. The lamp tower or “Deepastambha” is a five-storied structure. The temple reflects beautifully in the water tank which is located in front of the temple.
The Mahadeva Temple at Tambdi Surla is the only structural temple of the Kadamba period belonging to the 13th century which has survived. The temple is built of black basalt with a slab roof design over the main hall and a typical Dravidian style Shikara and carved ceiling.
This is a transplanted temple, originally located 17 km southeast of the present location, in kurdi and on the banks of river salaulim. The construction of a dam across salaulim had threatened the submergence of the temple, hence it was systematically dismantled and reconstructed at this place providing a similar topographical setting.
Transplanting literally means to shift an object from one place and re-erect the same without changing the original character, to a safer place. Each face of the monument was numbered layer-wise and close wise before the monument was dismanteled.
It consisted of a square garbhagriha and a porch in front with an extant superstructure built of both laterite and basalt stone. the main object of worship was a siva linga presently under worship in someswara temple at kurdi angod.
The entrance of garbhagriha had three dwara sakha type with Ganesha at lalatabimba. the architrave above the lintel carved into five niches, separated by pilasters, contain a seated female figure at the center flanked by unidentifable mutilated figures. a coupe of female devotees on either side of the door jamb, kirthimukhas on the threshold and chandrashila with sankavartha adorn the entrance of garbhariha. the porch was raised by two pillars comprising square at the base, fluted shaft with petal design having square-shaped capital, decorated with kirthimukhas. The moulded adhistana portion of hte temple consists of upapita, adhistana, janga and pattika, while the wall portion displays a central badra flanked by kuta and nagara sikhara motif seperated by Liner pilasters carefully delineated on laterite blocks brouht an aesthetic look on the esterior of the temple enabling to designate dravidian in order and assignable to the 10th-11th Century A.D. of the kadamba Period.
The entire process of transplantation and reconstruction of the temple took 11 years.
At the transplanted site there is a little musuem where they have shown a pictoral descriptoin as to the stages and how the temple was transplanted.
The Maruthi Temple at Mala Panjim is one of the most beautiful temples in Panjim. It is said that the idol of Maruthi in the main temple can be seen even from the main road, through an opening in the basement wall of the temple. It looks very beautiful with the light on at night.
There was the temple of Shantadurga, which was destroyed and the idol transferred to the Temple at Nanora, “Shantadurga Mahamaia”; and 15 affiliated temples with common deities, santeri and Vetal.
This is the Jain temple situated in the village of Kudne, Sanquelim Goa. This temple is dedicated to Adinatha. It belongs to the early medieval period. It’s built in the typical North Indian Sikhara Style. It was built by the Gujarati Community sometime before the 1400 A.D. There is a history of cultural relations between Goa and Gujarat and There is an influence of Gujarat on Goa’s Folk traditions. It is said that the Mussall, ghodemodni, talagadi, and gof reminds one of the traditions and folklore of saurashtra, kathewad in Gujarat.
The Vijayanagar Rulers – Protected site, Old Goa
The temple of Shri Gomantadev, Goveshwar, or Gomanteshwar situated at Brahmapuri near Old Goa is associated with Madhav Mantri, the famous General and Governor of Vijayanagar Empire in the 14th century AD.
Brahmapuri was established in the 14th century and probably became a great seat of learning and religious power under the patronage of Vijayanagar kings. It is believed that Madhav Mantri restored the temple and reinstalled the idol of Shri Gomanteshwar and constructed a ritual bathing tank at Brahmapuri.
This is the only monument to Madhav Mantri, the Vijayanagar General, who restored peace and prosperity after conquering Goa from the Bahamanis in the 14th century. A Vedic scholar, an ardent Shaivite, and a patron of learning, Madhav Mantri not only restored the images of Saptakoteshwar and other deities to their new shrines but also revived the tradition of Vedic and Puranic learning in Goa.
Brahmapuri is located near Ela farm at Old Goa and is linked to the town by a kuchcha road. Mahadev was worshipped during the days of Kadamba kingdom in Goa. The Portuguese damaged the temple and built the Church of Santissimo Trinidade (the most Holy Trinity) in the 16th century. The shrine, rebuilt after the Inquisition, was ruined again by the Portuguese in 1779 by the Viceroy Dom Frederico Guilherme de Souza. Originally built in the 14th century, the temple was once again rebuilt in 1947 AD.
Mahashivratri is celebrated with much religious fervour. This is a protected heritage site, where restoration work is going on.